Today, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced a new simplified application kit to be released on December 15, 2016 at 12:00 p.m. EST.
The change to the spousal sponsorship process comes just one month following the Ministry’s release of the 2017 Immigration Levels Plan, where they announced their goal to admit 64,000 spouses and dependants in 2017.
The changes to the kit include the following:
- Single Application Kit: Applications will no longer be distinguished between inside Canada or outside Canada. All applicants will use the same application kit
- New Simplified Guide: A brand new “Basic Guide” has been developed.
- Simplified Document Checklists: All current 14 document checklists will be replaced with four new document checklists (i.e. spouse, common-law partners, conjugal partner, and dependant child)
- Single Relationship/Sponsorship form: The current sponsorship evaluation form and relationship questionnaire will be merged into one single form to be completed by both the sponsor and person being sponsored.
- No Upfront Documentation: No longer required to provide upfront medical examination results and police checks
IRCC will continue to accept new applications using the current kit until January 31, 2017. After this date, only applications using the new kit will be accepted.